Update on Design Project

With no reading for this week, I’ve spent my time working on my design assignment. If you’ve read my previous posts, then you know design is not my forte and I’ve had some struggles with it. This assignment really gets at the importance of making your site as a whole reflect the topic and content. Again, if you’ve read my previous posts, then you know my topic is on the murder trial of Philemon T. Herbert. So that was in 1856. With that year in mind, I had to figure out how to make my site feel old-timey.

Because much of my content focuses on the newspapers’ reaction to the murder and subsequent trial. Therefore, I wanted to make a design that has the feel of an old newspaper. I think I did a pretty good job of it too. The first aspect I worked on was the background of the body of the site and the background of the container. In my other pages, I’ve used an off-white color for the container and a dark red for the body. I wanted to mix it up this time. I got some inspiration from several of my classmates websites. I really like the textured background look for the body. I was able to find a site that has that type of texture png files and uploaded it to my site. The next thing I did was search for an old parchment paper that I could use for my container. I did a general google search and found numerous options. I really like the contrast that these two images set up on my site. I then found several fonts that look like old news print. I used one of these for my main content and the other for the navigation.

I’ve certainly made it sound like this was an easy assignment. Let me assure you, it was not. I had some issues figuring out how to import the fonts I downloaded to my site. It took me a long time to realize I needed to create a @font-face property. That was a great a-ha moment for me. With that figured out, the other main issue I see with the site is the parchment background. I think it looks good, except I can see a faint line between the container and the main content section. The reason for this is I used the parchment first for the container and then again for the main content. That made it so it wasn’t just one piece of parchment throughout. I would appreciate any suggestions about how to remedy that. I’m not sure how I can install a background that will cover both the container and main content. I’ll keep working on it, but for now here is the finished product.

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

2 responses to “Update on Design Project

  1. Great job. I know we will have an opportunity to comment on each other’s assignments in class, but here is my gut reaction: I think the texture of the background is excellent. I like the image of the newspaper, which puts the reader in the time and place of the murder. While the font for the body of the article is authentic to the period, it is a little hard to read comfortably for as many paragraphs as you have, at least to my aging eyes. I wonder if there is a font that conveys the period but which doesn’t have the breaks common to old typesetting. But good work overall in staying true to the period you are writing about!

  2. It was a great idea to google for parchment paper. One suggestion I have is to blend some of the parchment color with the white in the header to make it less of a stark contrast. You might try “antique white” as a color that will match the parchment. Its html color code is: #FAEBD7.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s